Have you ever heard about the Medical Billing and Coding profession? Well, this profession manages insurance claims in clinics, hospitals and doctor’s offices. In America, most healthcare bills are paid for by third party insurers. So, to complete, submit and troubleshoot claims are important to maintain the cash flow of a medical facility.
Education Needed for Medical Billing and Coding Specialist
The education requirements for being a medical billing and coding specialist are different. It is because it is based on the needs of the employer. However, usually employers look for a medical billing and coding specialist with a certificate or diploma or associate degree. Some employers may also need you to have industry certification. Some employers accept those who have a vocational school education.
You are able to take a medical billing and coding course, diploma or associate degree. A lot of institutions provide this program. Some of them are listed below.
You can complete your Medical Billing and Coding course here in 4 months.
- Ashworth College
You can complete your Medical Billing and Coding course here in 4 months to 12 months.
- Rasmussen College
The Medical Billing and Coding program can be completed in this college in 9 months.
- Miller Motte
If you want to take Medical Billing and Coding in this institution, you will be able to complete it in 15 months.
- Dakota State University
Do you want to take the program in this university? Then, you need 1 year to complete it.
Here, you are able to complete your Medical Billing and Coding program in 40 to 60 hours or around 4 weeks to 6 weeks.
Besides education requirements, to be a medical billing and coding specialist, you need to have certain abilities so that you will perform well on your job. According to the BLS as explained on Ultimate Medical, there are some important qualities for medical secretaries as you can see below.
- The Skill of Making Decision
By having this skill, you will be able to analyze diagnoses and medical records to determine the best way to code them for the medical records of the patients.
- Attention to Detail
This aspect is needed so that you can record and code the data of patients accurately.
- Good Communication and Interpersonal Abilities
These qualities are required because when you work as a medical billing and coding specialist, you will meet any kind of situation including high-stress situations and you have to be able to handle it in a good manner.
- Computer Skills
Computer skills including spreadsheet, word processing and database software such as electronic health record (EHR) systems and medical coding and classification programs must be mastered by you as a medical billing and coding specialist.
Technology Skills Required To Be A Medical Billing and Coding Specialist
Besides education requirements and also the qualities that you need to have as a medical billing and coding specialist, you also need to have technology skills which are needed for this job. It is because when you do this job, you will interact with technology, but the specific programs and applications may vary. Nevertheless, the software usually permits you to be able to perform the same range of basic functions needed for this job.
According to O*NET OnLine, a BSL database of occupational information, as explained in Ultimate Medical Academy, there are some technology skills which are usually needed for this job. Those are listed below.
- Accounting software
- Billing software
- Data-entry software
- Database user interface and query software
- Medical condition coding software
- Medical procedure coding software
- Word processing software
- Medical software
- Electronic health record (EHR) programs
- Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS)
Classes Needed For Being Medical Billing and Coding Specialist
After you complete the study or course of medical billing and coding, you will work as a medical billing and coding specialist where you will manage medical records, applying codes, assisting with other business procedures for the healthcare field and submitting invoices. So, in the course, you will take classes in a variety of subjects. The coursework in this program includes a mix of technical knowledge, business topics, and healthcare information. You will have the opportunity to learn medical terminology, the medical coding system, and the cycle of healthcare claims.
So, here are the typical courses in a medical billing and coding program.
- Diagnostic Coding
- Procedural Coding
- Billing and Coding Application
- Introduction to Computers
- Introduction to Healthcare Communication
- Medical Terminology
- Medical Law and Ethics
- Records Management
- Healthcare Settings, Claim Cycle, and Claims Processing
- Anatomy, Physiology, and Pathophysiology
Your Job Duties as a Medical Billing and Coding Specialist
After you complete your medical billing and coding program, then you can apply for a job as a medical billing and coding specialist. However, do you know what are the job duties as a medical billing and coding specialist?
- You will review medical data on time.
- You have to keep data well organized all the time.
- You have to make sure that the medical records are complete and accurate.
- You will input clinical codes into medical classification software so that providers and/or patients are able to get reimbursed by insurance companies.
- You have to enter healthcare records in the correct format which is needed for medical registries and databases.
- You have to track patient outcomes for quality assessment.
- You have to be able to maintain comprehensive electronic records. By doing it, medical personnel will be able to retrieve, analyze, and report on data when they are needed.
- You have to make sure patients’ data is confidential all the time.
- You will have to review a patient’s medical records for any preexisting conditions and/or previous care. It is done to make sure that the data is coded correctly.
- When a patient gets a medical diagnosis, you have to use the correct codes to help healthcare providers administer proper care, assist health statisticians in tracking population data, and guarantee healthcare facilities submit the necessary information to get reimbursement from insurance.
- By becoming a medical billing and coding, it means you are a link between the healthcare facility and insurance companies.