Respondus Monitor is the remote proctoring solution for higher education. It allows the students to take online assessments from a remote location, while ensuring the integrity of the exam process. Well, let us talk more about Respondus Monitor Webcam here.
What is Respondus Monitor?
Respondus Monitor is the automated proctoring service for Respondus LockDown Browser which uses students’ webcams to record students during online exams, and automatically detect behaviors which could indicate cheating. Respondus Monitor is best used as a preventive to cheating. As an instructor, when you enable this feature for an exam, your students are going to be required to use a webcam and microphone with LockDown Browser. After the student submits the exam, you are able to review details of the assessment, including the recorded videos.
Using Respondus Monitor with LockDown Browser is an alternative to traditional proctoring. According to research, at Indiana University, Respondus Monitor has integrated with Canvas. Also, it has been used for some years to oversee in-person tests taken on a computer. Adding Respondus Monitor to Respondis LockDown Browser gives an additional layer of proctoring for the tests taken at a distance. We get information that during 2020 Respondus Monitor was used successfully in many courses, and it is used at many other universities and colleges.
Respondus Monitor Features
Here are some features of Respondus Monitor:
- It builds upon Respondus LockDown Browser
It starts with LockDown Browser, a custom browser which locks down the testing environment within a learning system. The students cannot copy, print, access other applications, and search the internet during an online exam.
- Fully-Automated Proctoring
Need to know that Respondus Monitor is a fully-automated proctoring solution. During an online exam, the students utilize a webcam to record themselves. After that, marked events and proctoring results are available to the instructor for review.
- Auto-Launches from any Browser
After an installation, Respondus Monitor is going to launch from the student’s browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Edge whenever the exam settings require it. Then, the students are guided through a pre-exam sequence, including a webcam check.
- It integrates with LMSs + Publisher Systems
Respondus Monitor integrates with Canvas, D2L Brightspace, Schoology, Blackboard, Moodle, and Pearson MyLab. The students access the exams within their learning system as they usually would. Also, the Instructors will do everything within the learning system like the post-exam review of proctoring results.
- There is no Scheduling or Registration
There is no need to schedule a proctoring session in advance. Even, the students and instructors do not need to register at the Respondus site.
- It supports most devices
Respondus Monitor is not only a browser plugin. It offers a native experience for Windows, Chromebook, Mac, and iPad devices.
How does Respondus Monitor work?
Respondus Monitor serves mainly as a preventive to cheating. Also, it assists to confirm identities of the students. Respondus Monitor records the entire testing session on the student’s webcam and also uses software to detect possible cheating behaviors, for example, talking to another person in the room, looking at a phone or other computer, or having another person take the test.
After the students complete their online exam, Respondus Monitor is going to give a visual rating of whether the student has displayed dubious behavior. When you see ratings which signifies cheating behavior, you are able to go into the student’s session recording and look at time-stamped thumbnails of suspicious behavior. From those thumbnails, you will be able to move directly to the relevant sections in the video and decide if cheating has happened.
For your information, Respondus Monitor utilizes facial detection technology for some of its flagging events. Facial detection refers to the ability of the system for detecting that a face is present. Actually, it is not the same as facial recognition, where the system is trying to identify a particular face. You are able to help your students use Respondus Monitor successfully by giving them some tips.
How to set up a quiz in Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor?
Here are some steps to set up a quiz in LockDown Browser and Monitor:
- At the first step, you have to add LockDown Browser to your course: Please go to Settings and click Navigation. Then, click LockDown Browser from the list of available tools. If you want to add Respondus LockDown Browser to your course, simply you are able to drag it into your active tools. In alternative, you are able to click … on the right side and choose Enable. Please scroll down and click Save.
- The second step, you have to make a quiz in Canvas, using Classic or New Quizzes.
- Now, you need to save and publish the quiz.
- In your course navigation menu, you have to click LockDown Browser.
- Please find your quiz and click the down arrow next to the quiz name.
- Do not forget to select Settings and click “Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam” option.
- Please provide an access code, if desired.
- Under the Advanced Settings:
a. You have to enable Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor for use with Chromebooks and iPads by selecting Allow students to take this exam with an iPad (using the LockDown Browser app from the Apple App Store) and Allow students to use LockDown Browser for Chromebook (beta).
b. If needed, you are able to choose “Allow access to specific external web domains.” It allows the students to access an e-book or site (such as a government website) which you specify. Please use this option with care, because it will give access to an entire domain, not only an individual page.
c. If needed, you are able to choose Enable Calculator on the toolbar to allow the students using a calculator (standard or scientific) during their online exam.
- Under “Monitor Webcam Settings”, you have to select “Require Respondus Monitor for this exam.”
- Under “Startup Sequence and Facial Detection Options”, UITS suggests to keep the default selections.
- Lastly, you only need to click Save & Close.