In University of Newcastle (UON) Australia, there is e-Learning courses which have been designed for students in collaboration with UK based company EPIGEUM. It can be said as the first programs of them that are designed to support your transition into the throughout your University degree. E-learning courses of UON are free for UON (University of Newcastle) students and provide you with a certificate of completion for your personal portfolio.
In the E-learning courses, there is Academic Success which is skills for learning and life. This course is created to help you set expectations about university life and begin developing your academic study skills. This program is for new students in their first semester of study.
You may be curious about the course. The first module concerns on what university is like outside of the classroom. In the first module, you will experience several things below.
- You will consider what your first few days will be like.
- You will discover how to get involved in the campus community through clubs, societies, volunteering and more
- You will be introduced to some of the support which are available to help you successfully complete your studies.
- You will get tips on how to adjust to living out of home for students moving away for the first time.
In the second module, there will be about the study skills that you need to help complete your coursework. At the end of the module, you will have developed your skills in assessment planning, effective reading, note taking, academic writing, group work, presentations, motivation and time management. How can we access the e-learning of UON (University Of Newcastle)? They use Blackboard which is the learning management system that you are able to use for each of the courses that make up your degree. How to access it? Follow the steps below.
- First, you will have to login to myUON.
- Then, you have to choose UONline from the Launchpad.
- Now, you have to click on the Blackboard tab at the top of the page.
- At last, choose the Academic Success: Skills for Learning and Life link that you can find under the My Other Sites heading.
Besides Academic Success, there is also English for Studies which is designed to help you develop your academic reading, writing and listening skills. It can be helpful for students who want to advance their academic skills, or for students who have been away from study for a while. To access this, same as accessing Academic Success, you will have to login to UONline. After that, go to the Blackboard tab and then go to Previous Sites tab and enter ‘English for Academic Studies’ into ‘Search Other Sites’.
Below the Organisation ID, you will find a grey drop-down arrow. Then, click on the arrow and you have to choose Enrol which is followed by Submit. Now, the English for Academic Studies Blackboard should be available in your ‘My Other Sites’. After knowing the steps to access it, now you can try to access by following the steps above.