How do you download Respondus LockDown Browser? If you come to this page for finding that information, you are lucky. Here we are going to share information about the way to download Respondus LockDown Browser.
After your instructor has required Respondus LockDown Browser for an exam, it is easy for the students to download and use LockDown Browser to take their online test. The steps below help a student through the process. The instructors are able to provide these steps to the students for guidance if necessary.
Download and Install Respondus LockDown Browser
If the students are required to install Respondus LockDown Browser themselves, they are going to receive a download URL unique to that institution. From that link, the student will be able to confirm system requirements and whether to install the Windows or Mac version of the application. Also, they are able to view a quick video which explains the software. The installation process is easy and fast. The browser only needs to be installed once to a computer.
Here are some steps to download and install Respondus LockDown Browser:
- At the first step, you have to go to your Canvas course site and click the exam link.
- Then, click Take the exam.
- Now, you are able to click Download Respondus LockDown Browser. This will take you to the Respondus web site.
- Please click Install Now button. This will download a .zip archive containing a .pkg (Mac) or .exe (Windows) file. If the .zip file does not unpack automatically, simply you are able to double click on it.
Can an iPad be used to take a Respondus LockDown Browser exam?
The “LockDown Browser” for iPad Edition is available from the Apple App Store. It enables a student to use an iPad to take exams which need LockDown Browser. At first, your instructor have to choose a setting which allows the usage of iPads for the exam. For your information, the LockDown Browser iPad app is not compatible with Sakai LMS servers. All Sakai users have to use a computer with a compatible operating system.
Here are steps to take an exam with LockDown Browser on iPad:
- At the first step, you are able to download and install the “LockDown Browser” app from the Apple App Store to the iPad. For note: it requires iOS 11 or higher.
- Then, you have to follow the instructions for your institution’s learning system.
Start the LockDown Browser
To start LockDown Browser, you have to locate the “LockDown Browser” icon on the desktop and double-click it. For Mac users, you are able to find it in their Applications folder. In alternative, Windows users are able to go to “Start”, locate “All Programs,” choose “Respondus,” and click “Respondus LockDown Browser.”
Several learning systems ask the students to open a standard browser first, log in to the course, find the exam, and then utilize the “Launch LockDown Browser” button. Automatically, this will launch LockDown Browser. Next, the students are able to start the exam.
Login to Course and choose Exam
Automatically, Respondus LockDown Browser will go to the login page for the institution’s learning management system. Simply, the students are able to log in and navigate to the exam, as they would in a regular browser. For note: If a student attempts to access the exam using a regular browser, they are going to discover a message indicating that they have to use LockDown Browser.
Taking an Exam
After the exam started, the students are locked into the exam. They will not be able to copy, print, go to other web addresses, or access other apps on the computer. Also, the students will not be able to use features: Web searches, minimizing the browser, and instant messaging. After the exam is completed, the students are allowed to exit the browser. Then, their computer return to its usual state. If a student needs to exit the exam before submitting it, for instance, in case of an emergency or internet failure, they have to enter a reason for exiting the exam early.
Taking the Quiz with Respondus LockDown Browser
- At the first step, you have to run LockDown Browser from your PC or Mac.
- You are going to see a pop-up suggesting that you close one or more programs before continuing. Please click the “Kill these applications” to have LockDown Browser do this for you.
- Then, you are going to be asked to log into Canvas with your Internet ID and password.
- Once you are successfully logged into Canvas, you are going to see your Dashboard. Please click on your course to go to the site.
- Now, you have to Find and click the link for the quiz.
- Please click Take the Quiz.
- When you have already entered your answers, and are ready to submit the quiz, just click Submit quiz.
- The next step is to log out of Canvas.
- Lastly, click the X on the far upper left. When you see the question: Are you sure want to quit Respondus LockDown Browser?, simply click Quit.
Finally, your quiz has been submitted. If you need additional help, you are able to contact 1-Help, 612-301-4357 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom web browser which enables you to discourage cheating while the students are taking online exams. It is created by Respondus. LockDown Browser disables printing, copying, accessing other programs, and visiting other websites while you are still not finished with your test. Keep in mind that the restrictions will only lift after you have submitted your answers for grading.
This LockDown Browser is specially designed to invalidate any attempts at digital cheating when the students are taking online exams. Your window is going to be displayed in full-screen and cannot be minimized until you finish, forcing you to focus on your test only. Also, the browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for the Back, Forward, Refresh, and Stop functions. Immediately Copying and pasting are turned off. Even the right-click menu options, keyboard shortcuts, function keys, and the task-switching feature are disabled.