Recording themselves reading after listening and practicing to read at their own pace is what the kids can do on Raz-Kids. By recording their reading after practice, surely it can be an evaluation of how far their reading ability is. Then, to test their comprehension, the kids can then take a corresponding eQuiz complete with an extended answer response.
Unfortunately, the kids get an issue when recording themselves reading where the microphone is not working, especially on Chromebook. Sometimes, this issue occurs when kids inadvertently close out or say not to the permission pop up which allows the microphone in raz Kids.
So, if you also encounter the microphone issue when recording your kid’s reading in Raz-Kids on Chromebook, make sure to identify what’s happening on your Chromebook. Thankfully, this post will guide you on how to fix when the microphone is not working to record on Raz-Kids. Let’s see the guide below!
Here’s How to Fix a Microphone Not Working on a Chromebook!
When you are having trouble when recording your kid’s reading on Raz-Kids with Chromebook, what you should do first is to clear the cache and then restart your Chromebook by following the multiple steps:
- When you are in Chrome to access the Raz-Kids, you need to click the menu button (three dots in a vertical line) located in the upper right corner.
- Hover your cursor to select‘More Tools’in the drop-down menu.
- Then, click on the‘Clear Browsing Data’option in the sub-menu.
- Click the‘Adavanced’in the new window to set the ‘Time’ range to ‘All Time’.
- Here, you need to check the top options:
- Browsing history
- Download history
- Cookies and other site data
- Cached images and files
- Here, you should click the‘Clear data’.
- You can then restart your Chromebook when the pop-up window closes.
- Afterwards, you can allow the microphone and pop-up for Raz-Kids.
- To check your microphone, you can open Chrome and go to https://www.raz-kids.com/.
- Then, click the‘lock’icon in the address bar. However, it affects the settings for Raz-Kids only.
- Choose‘Site Settings’in the drop-down menu.
- Set the‘Microphone’to ‘Allow’.
- You can also set‘Pop-ups’and redirect to ‘Allow’.
To note, if you clear the cache, it will reset those settings.
That’s how to fix the microphone not working on Chromebook.
However, if the way above cannot solve your issue, you probably should update the Chrome operating system (OS) to the latest version. Here’s how to do:
- First, you need to click the Wi-Fi located in the lower-right corner.
- Then, you can choose the ‘settings icon’ (a gear icon) in the pop-up window.
- After that, click on the menu button (three horizontal bars) in the upper-left corner.
- Click on the ‘About OS’ option.
- Click on the ‘Check for updates’.
- Last, you should restart after updates are installed. You may also have to clear the cache and restart again after the OS is updated.
Congratulations! You successfully update your Chrome into the newest version.
How to Customize Student Access in Raz-Kids?
You may want to customize your classroom or individual student’s experience in Raz-Kids to meet their unique needs. Sure, to customize the student access, you can do it by changing the Raz-Kids settings in your classroom. Here’s how!
- First, log into your Raz-Kids account here.
- Then, navigate to the Roster page from the Manage Student action button.
For class-wide settings
- You have to click on the ‘Customize’ from the ‘All students’ row in the Book Room column.
- Then, you need to slide the silver bards to choose a level or range of levels, your classroom will have access to in the Raz-Kids Book Room. If your students are using Spanish level books, you can repeat this process for Spanish Book Room settings.
- The next step, you can turn on or off the additional book categories by selecting or deselecting the radio boxes next to each option.
- Once completing your choices, you can choose the orange ‘Save & Close’ button to apply settings.
For individual student settings
- You can choose a student’s hyperlinked name from the roster homepage.
- Choose ‘Edit’ beside the student’s name.
- Choose ‘Book Room’ settings.
- You can then follow the same steps which you followed for class-wide changes and once completing your options, choose the orange ‘Save & Close’ button to apply the settings.
How If You Want to Turn Off the Audio When Listening?
Sometimes, you want your students only watching or reading without listening to the story or reading materials eBooks in Raz-Kids. However, you do it as you want to know how far the student’s reading ability is, if there’s only a video, not audio. You may want to ask your students to only read the story, though the story can be listened to too.
Well, what you should do here is to turn off the audio on Raz-Kids ‘Listening’ section. So, is it possible for you to turn off the audio? Sure, you can turn off the audio when the students access the Raz-Kids ‘Listening’ section. Let’s see how to turn off the audio on Raz-Kids!
- When you are at the Raz-Kids page, you can click on the ‘lock’ icon in the address bar.
- Choose ‘Site Settings’ in the drop-down menu.
- Find the ‘Sound’ option.
- Once you find it, you should set the ‘Sound’ option to ‘Mute’.
- By choosing the ‘Mute’ option, it will prevent your site from sounding.
When the students access the Raz-Kids ‘Listening’ section, well, the audio will automatically mute. It’s important to note, if you clear the cache, it will reset those settings.
Additionally, if you really want your student to not listen to the story or passage on Raz-Kids eBooks, you can only choose the ‘Reading’ section so that your students do only read, without listening to the eBooks.
However, the ‘Listening’ section here is such a first stage where the students can listen to readings and how a word is read. So, by listening to a reading repeatedly, we think that your students will easily imitate how to read it. The point is, ‘Listening’ a reading and the story first is very important for students’ reading progress.