Zoom unifies cloud video conferencing, cross platform group chat and simple online meetings into one easy-to-use platform. As an easier way to connect with students, parents, and staff on video, well, LAUSD has an agreement with Zoom to allow the students to learn at home through video conference tools.
Unfortunately, the parents, students or even staff get an issue when working with Zoom. Certainly, they will need the Zoom Job Aid to guide them finding the best solution when they get the complicated issues.
Thankfully, LAUSD provides the Zoom guides for parents, students and staff when they’re working with Zoom. Let’s see the LAUSD Zoom Job Aid below!
Zoom Job Aid for Parents
Here’s the guide what the parents should do to join with Zoom:
Step 1: Visit the Zoom or Accept the Invitation
- Option 1: You need to visit https://zoom.us/ and click on the ‘Join a meeting’ option, or
- Option 2: Accept an invitation by clicking on the lausd.zoom.us link. If you see the message, you need to click on the ‘Open Zoom Meeting’. If this is your first time to work with Zoom, you need to download and install the Zoom app first.
Step 2: Here, you have to enter the 9-11 digit meeting number provided by staff to join a meeting.
Step 3: When required, you need to enter your name. Well, this name here will be visible by all people in the meeting. Here, you may also be required to enter a password.
Step 4: Connect to audio (speakers and microphone) through phone call or computer audio. Then, choose ‘Join Audio Conference by Computer’. If you get a pop up message asking if you want Zoom to use your microphone, you need to choose ‘Allow’.
While if your computer has no speakers, you can click on ‘ Join by Phone Cell’ and you will be provided with a series of phone numbers that you can use to join the audio of the meeting.
Step 5: If you receive a message to wait for the host to start the meeting, that means the host has not started the meeting yet. Here, you need to check that your meeting time is correct and wait a few minutes for the meeting to start.
- Mute/Unmute. You can click on the microphone icon to turn your microphone on or off.
- Start/ Stop Video. You can click on the video camera icon to turn on or off your camera.
- Chat. You can send and receive documents via the chat feature.
- Leave Meeting. You can click it when the meeting has finished.
Here are the tips on how to make the best of your meeting via Zoom:
- If it is possible, you can conduct the call in a quiet place.
- When you are not talking for long periods of time, you can mute your microphone to avoid the background noise.
- You can also keep the video feature on if you feel comfortable. However, it will help all parties to feel connected and see that you are attentive.
Zoom Job Aid for Students
The guide here is for LAUSD students who are working with Zoom for online school. If you’re a LAUSD student and work with Zoom on the computer, the headphones will be required to help with background noise. Here’s for the guide:
Step 1: First, click on the meeting link that your teacher sends to you.
Step 2: If you have never used Zoom before, you will have to click on the Download and run Zoom. While if you have Zoom downloaded on your computer, you can then click on the Open zoom.us.
Step 3: You may see a similar message to the one on the right after Zoom has been launched. As soon as your teacher will join the meeting, the virtual room will pop up.
Step 4: Most likely your teacher has it set to mute all participants, when they first join. Here, you will only be able to hear your teacher at this time. So, your teacher will not be able to hear you.
Step 5: If your teacher invites you to speak, the message to the right may or may not appear. If it does pop up, you can click the blue ‘Unmute Myself’ button.
Step 6: If you have to leave the meetings early or your teachers say the meetings have come to an end, you can exit the room by clicking ‘Leave Meeting’ in the lower right hand corner.
Zoom Job Aid for Employee
Zoom provides up to 300 people for online video conferencing. In this case, the LAUSD employees can set up a meeting any time with an LAUSD single sign-on username and password by following these steps below!
Step 1: If you’re a LAUSD employee who wants to work with Zoom, you can go to lausd.zoom.us.
Step 2: Then, you need to log in using an LAUSD single sign-on account.
Step 3: After that, go to ‘Schedule a Meeting’ and enter the requested information including topic, date, time and the duration. Click on the ‘Save’ button.
Step 4: You can totally invite others to the meeting in the ‘Time’ section by clicking on ‘Copy the invitation’ in the ‘Join URL’ section or clicking on the ‘Outlook Calendar’ button. After that, paste the clipboard contents into your pre-established meeting invitation.
Issues Which May Occur on LAUSD Zoom
When working with Zoom, especially the students will get an issue regarding the authentication, internal use or also authorized attendee while attempting to join Zoom meetings from inside or outside of Schoology. At least, there are possibilities of the cause why the users cannot join the Zoom meeting, here are they:
- The teachers may not have followed the exact directions in the job aid that all teachers have been instructed to follow.
- The teachers may have a class with multiple roster or multiple periods where they want to teach or lecture in ‘one’ Zoom meeting. Well, the teacher copies and pastes the Zoom meeting link from one course to another.