The Respondus LockDown Browser is the type of custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Blackboard Learn. When any student uses the Respondus LockDown Browser, they will not be able to print, copy, go to another URL, or access the other apps on the computer.
When the evaluation is started, the browser screen of the students will be locked into it until the click submit for grading, Please keep in mind that the LockDown Browser should only be used for taking Blackboard tests and should not be used in the other areas of Blackboard.
You need to install the LockDown Browser to each device being used to take a test. How do you install the LockDown Browser? Apparently, your institution or instruction will give you the link for downloading or installing the LockDown Browser. Please follow the onscreen steps to complete the installation.
After you have installed the LockDown Browser, you can take a test. In order to take the test, please follow these steps:
- Close each program, except there is one that you use to connect to the internet.
- Place the LockDown Browser shortcut on the desktop and double click it. If you use Mac, you can launch LockDown Browser from the Applications folder.
- If prompted, you can either close a blocked program such as screen capture or instant messaging by pressing Yes or close the LockDown Browser and then close the program before restarting.
- Sign into Blackboard.
- Navigate to the test within the course and choose the Begin Exam.
- The test will be started. Please take note that once it has been started with Respondus LockDown Browser, you are not allowed to exit it until you click the Submit button.
You may be asked to use LockDown Browser with a webcam, which is also referred as Respondus Monitor, that will record you while you are online. If so, your computer must be supported by a functioning webcam, as well as a microphone. Apart from this, a broadband connection is also required.
If the test requires LockDown Browser and a webcam, please follow these 6 steps explained before. At this stage, the Startup Sequence for the webcam starts.
- The Webcam Check will confirm that both your webcam and your microphone can be used well.
- The rest of the steps of the Startup Sequence will depend on settings selected by your instructors. Please follow each instruction and it is also better for you to note your progress along the left side of the screen.
- In case you face some difficulties, choose the It’s not working link for troubleshooting tips.
The test will start after the Startup Sequence is done. Once again, exiting the LockDown Browser is not allowed until the test is submitted for grading. If you have issues with downloading, installing, or taking tests, please contact your instructor or the help desk of your institution.