If this is your first time using Respondus LockDown Browser to take a test in Blackboard, you may need some tutorial on how to use this secure browser in Blackboard. As we know, the Blackboard is an educational platform providing a more powerful teaching and learning experience with a modern interface.
With Blackboard, it engages the students and the educators to get a path to success. Certainly, to use the Respondus LockDown Browser in Blackboard, you need to understand how to use this Blackboard’s third-app. Thankfully, this post will show you a guide that will lead you to use this secure browser properly.
Student Guide for Using Respondus LockDown Browser in Blackboard
This post shows you a guide to use the Respondus LockDown Browser in Blackboard for students. Here’s how!
- Go to the Blackboard using a regular browser.
- After that, you have to log into Blackboard.
- Once you are at the Blackboard dashboard, you need to select the course and navigate to the test.
- In the next step, you will be required to install the LockDown Browser (if you do not have it yet) or launch the browser (if you already have the browser) to take the test.
- If you do not have the LockDown browser yet, you need to click on the download link to install the LockDown Browser on your computer.
- Otherwise, if you have installed the Respondus LockDown Browser on your computer, you just simply click ‘View Assessment’ to begin taking a tes.
- Afterwards, you need to click on the ‘Yes’ button, when you are required to close a blocked program such as instant messaging or screen capture.
- If your instructor asks you to use a webcam to record yourself during an online test, you may need to follow the Startup Sequence instructions first.
- Certainly, your test will appear to start once the Startup Sequence is completed. To note, you shouldn’t exit LockDown Browser until your test is submitted for grading.
Congratulations! You successfully use the Respondus LockDown Browser to take a test in Blackboard. Make sure to follow step-by-step in order to use the Respondus LockDown Browser properly.
About Startup Sequence Instructions
You will also need to follow the instructions of the Startup Sequence depending on the settings selected by your instructor. Apart from that, you should also note your progress along the top of the screen. If you encounter a problem for Startup Sequence, you should choose the ‘It’s not working’ link for problem solvings.
How to Configure Respondus LockDown Browser Settings
Certainly, before you take a test in Blackboard, you really need to configure the Respondus LockDown browser settings first. No worries! Configuring the settings for this secure browser is pretty easy to do. Let’s see step-by-step below!
- First, you need to log into Blackboard and the course which contains the test.
- Then, you need to expand the ‘Control Panel’ menu and also ‘Course Tools’ on the course menu on the left.
- After that, click on the ‘Respondus Lockdown Browser’ option.
- You also need to click ‘Continue to Lockdown Browser’.
- By clicking the option, you will view the all course test list. here, you need to click the down arrow beside the test you want to use Respondus on and click on the ‘Settings’ option.
- You must then check the ‘Require Respondus Lockdown Browser for this exam’ section.
- Then, click on the ‘Advanced Setting’ section to set options.
- If you use Zoom with Respondus, you need to check Allow access to specific external web sites and add zoom.us and also your university’s zoom site address.
- After that, check any additional settings. If you need more information, you can click on the ‘Explain’ option.
- Last, you must click ‘Save and Close’ to save settings.
That’s it! You have configured the Respondus LockDown Browser to make it easy for you to use this secure browser to take your test in Blackboard.
Get Secure Assessment
With Blackboard Respondus, you are able to deliver assessments in a secure browser. However, it is to ensure that the students are not influenced by external sources when they are drafting and submitting attempts. Certainly, the secure assessments will be delivered by tools which are provided by Respondus.
If the LockDown Browser is licensed at your institution, you definitely will locate the Respondus Dashboard in the settings area of both tests and assignments. Through the Details & Actions Panel, you can also then open the Respondus Dashboard in the Books and Tools menu.
If you want to add more security to your assessments, you are able to turn on both LockDown Browser and access code. Certainly, they definitely will work together well. Before the LockDown Browser is launched the students should give the correct access code.
Afterwards, you need to choose LockDown Browser Dashboard in the test of assignment settings in the Assessment Security section. If the Respondus is not allowed at your institution, there will be a message which says Assessment security is disabled because the service is unavailable. For instance, you need to contact your institution administrator.
On the Respondus Dashboard, there will be a list of all assessments in your course to appear. You should then find the assessment that you want to update. Afterwards, you need to select to deliver the assessment either with the Respondus LockDown Browser or a webcam.
It’s important to note, any certain assessment settings may not work when you enable a secure assessment. Here, you will be able to add a timer, align goals, allow multiple attempts, as well as randomize questions and answers.
Additionally, you will not need a Respondus tool to see submissions, provide feedback or also grade work. In this case, feedback and grading for secure assessments are the same as the grading and feedback workflows to assess without this setting.