For those teachers or students, do you know that there is such a cool place called the CodeHS Sandbox? If the answer to the question is no and it is the first time of you hearing such a thing, you can keep reading the post until the end to be able to find out about it, including about the way to use it.
The CodeHS Sandbox is the name of a place where you are able to write programs outside of the bounds of an exercise. This place allows you to start a program starting from the very beginning in any of the programming languages. With it, you have a chance to make anything that you want.
Both the teachers and the students have the same ability to create the Sandbox programs. Aside from that, they are also able to share them in the Sandbox IDE. If you are a teacher, you are able to use this place to assign a few things, such as individual projects, midterms, and end of year assignments. This kind of thing is really good for the students so that they can get support to work on their coding skills outside the classroom.
How do you use CodeHS Sandbox? The CodeHS Sandbox is able to be used easily. If you want to access it, here is every instruction that you have to follow:
- The first thing that you need to do is to click on the Sandbox link. If you have no idea where it is, it is located in the top left corner of any page.
- Then, name your program before clicking Create Program.
- After that, choose any one of the programming languages from the CodeHS curriculum. Not only that, you are also able to choose any one of the additional languages such as Elm, SQL, C, and C++.
If you want to view the Sandbox programs of the students, below is step by step to follow:
- Firstly, you have to select a student from the roaster page.
- After selecting one, click Student Sandbox, the one that is located under Teacher Links in the left side navigation bar.
If you are a student, you are also allowed to make and edit your very own website, the one that is hosted by CodeHS. In order to do it, you should click on Edit My codehs.me homepage. You and any other students are able to access and share your personalized web page by going to your username followed by .codehs.me.
If you want to share and embed a Sandbox program, there are a few ways to choose from. The first one is by sharing a link and the second one is by embedding it in another webpage. There are a few things to take note about sharing Sandbox programs, including:
- The Sandbox programs of the teachers are the kinds of programs that are automatically shared. Basically, every program that is made by the teacher in Sandbox is automatically public. Feel free to visit the URL of a Sandbox program and see it in the editor.
- You will be taken to the IDE by visiting the URL of a Sandbox program. In the new place, you will be able to see the output side by side with the code. Not only that, you are also able to do some other things, such as messing around and making several changes, and forking the program to your own sandbox.
- If you are logged out, you are still able to make shared programs in the sandbox and send and then later send them to your friends or teacher.
- If you have a plan to exclusively share the output, just like before, all that you have to do is to turn Show Code off in your share settings.
In addition to accessing the Sandbox, viewing the Sandbox programs of the students, and sharing and embedding the Sandbox programs, you might also want to view all student Sandbox programs with Class Sandbox. If you want to view every Sandbox problem of the student in one place, you can only do it with CodeHS Pro. If you do not have it, the sad news is that there is no chance for you to be able to do that. If you have one, you will be able to view these students’ Sandbox problems by simply going to your Sandbox and clicking View Class Sandbox!. From this, you can filter and sort through the student programs and everything can be done easily. If you want to view a Sandbox page of a student, all that you have to do is to choose their name and then press View Student Sandbox. Actually, it is not the only way as you can also click their name in the table.
If you want, it is also possible for you to add programs that you or your students have made to your Playlists. To be able to do that, please follow the following guide:
- First of all, go to your Sandbox.
- When you are there, click “…” next to any program.
- In the next step, click + Add to Playlist.
- After that, choose the Playlist that you want to add the program to.
If you want to see the Sandbox program in your Playlist, you can just click Create on the left hand sidebar. By following the step, you will be able to access your Create Dashboard and view the Playlist.
It should be easy for you to use CodeHS Sandbox by reading the information given above. If the information is not enough and you still have something to ask, you are suggested to contact the team of CodeHS by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Before anything, it is better for you to check out the advice and answers from the CodeHS Team by going to https://help.codehs.com/en/. There is a lot of advice and answers shared by the CodeHS Team. If you fail to find the answer, then send an email to the email address mentioned before.