PDX refers to Portland State University while the term PCC is used to call Portland Community College. Both of them use D2L or Desire2Learn as their online learning management system. For everyone who wants to know the D2L of both, this post uncovers it for you.
D2L PDX is designed for students, faculty, and staff of Portland State University.
- Windows: Dual-core 2.33 GHz or faster x86-compatible processor, or Intel Atom 1.6 GHz or faster processor for netbooks; Microsoft Windows Vista (32-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit), or Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit); at least 2GB of RAM; 128MB of graphics memory
- macOS: Intel Core Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz or faster processor; macOS, v10.6 or later; 2 GB of RAM 128 MB of graphics memory
- Linux: Dual-core 2.33 GHz or faster x86-compatible processor, or Intel Atom 1.6 GHz or faster processor for netbooks; Microsoft Windows Vista (32-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit), or Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit); at least 2GB of RAM; 128MB of graphics memory
- Android phones or tablets: Gingerbread or later (Android 2.3+)
- iPhone or iPad: iOS 5.0 or later
- Browsers: Mozilla Firefox 17 or later, Google Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 or later, Apple Safari 5.0 or later
- Internet access: Broadband internet connectivity (3 Megabits per second (Mbps) download speed and 1 Mbps upload speed)
- Accessing D2L PDX
Once you have made sure that your computer meets the minimum requirements, feel free to access D2L by going to d2l.pdx.edu in your internet browser and then signing in with your Odin account credentials.
- Menus found in D2L PDX
After signing into D2L, you will be taken to the D2L Homepage. In this page, you will be able to see a list of all the courses that you are registered for. For your information, not every course of Portland State University uses online resources or D2L. For those who are not sure whether the course that you picked uses D2L or not, you are recommended to contact your instructor.
In addition to D2L Homepage, there are some other menus in D2L PDX, including D2L Course Homepage, D2L Content, D2L Discussions, D2L Assignments, D2L Quizzes, D2L Grades, D2L Groups, and D2L Email. If you want to know about the others, you can find the tutorial at here.
For more information about D2L PDX, it is better for you to visit its page on the official website of Portland State University visit the link here. In case you have something to ask, you can call the helpdesk which is available 7 days a week from 8 AM to midnight with the exception of university holidays and closures. The number that you can dial is 503 725 4357. There is actually another number that you can call to talk to the helpdesk, which is 1 800 547 8887 ext. 5 4357. The later one is toll free so you can call them without having to worry about getting charged. If you are not confident talking directly to the representative of Portland State University, you might want to consider chatting with them. According to the official website, the chat support is available on Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM except for university holidays and closures.
- Logging in
In PCC, the D2L is also known as D2L Brightspace. Just like the common D2L, D2L Brightspace is described as an online course and learning management system. Each student is provided with an interface for accessing the content of their online courses, including the lessons, course calendars, syllabus, quizzes, an assignment drop box, and discussion forums.
Logging in is needed to access D2L Brightspace. In order to log in, the first thing that should have been done is to go to the direct login page of D2L Brightspace at https://online.pcc.edu. Once you are there, please enter your MyPCC username and password. After entering these two, you can just click the Login button.
- Accessing D2L Brightspace through MyPCC
There are several ways to access D2L Brightspace. In addition to the method above, you can also access it through MyPCC. There are also some different methods to access D2L Brightspace through MyPCC. The first one is clicking the laptop icon located near the upper right hand corner of your MyPCC account and the second one is finding the Quick Links box on the Home tab and then clicking the D2L Brightspace Login link.
- Logging out
For those who are done using the D2L Brightspace system, it is needed for you to log out in order to make sure that your PCC login session is terminated. To log out, you can click your name located at the top right corner of your account. Then, choose Logout from the action menu. By doing so, you should be able to see a page that informs you that you have been logged out and that it is time for you to close your browser.
- Clearing browser history and restarting browser
In case you are having a hard time accessing D2L Brightspace from MyPCC, firstly, you can clear your browser cache and history. Afterward, close your browser completely. The last thing is to re-open the browser and try to access D2L Brightspace through MyPCC. The second option is to use the common way by logging in (which the steps have been explained before).
- Things to do if there are some problems
It should be easy to do everything above. However, if some issues occur, the first step should be clearing your browser cache in order to remove any old cookies and session information that might have been left by a previous session. If the issue is still there, you can also try using a different browser. The last thing that you can do is to call the Student Help Desk at 971 722 8222 or by sending an email to email@example.com.