As a Minnesota State University Moorhead (MSUM) student, you may want to access the D2L Brightspace. Sure, the D2L is such a new way of learning management system which provides numerous activities to easily do including taking a course, submitting an assignment, taking a quiz, viewing grade and many more.
Of course, to access the D2L Brightspace at MSUM, you should login first by entering your username and password. So, let’s learn how to log into the D2L Brightspace MSUM from our post below!
Logging Into the D2L MSUM, Here’s the Guide!
To login into the D2L MSUM you should access the login portal first. MSUM or Minnesota State University Moorhead gives two options for logging into the D2L Brightspace, here’s how it breaks down!
- Login with StarID
In order to access the D2L Brightspace MSUM, you can login with your StarID. In this case, the StarID here is a username replacing a lot of login IDs with one ID and one password, everywhere and every portal login.
Moreover, you can only need one StarID where you can use the same StarID across Minnesota State to log into many services such as the D2L Brightspace, email and many more. Of course, you can only change your password in one place, starid.minnstate.edu and it will change everywhere.
Additionally, the StarID and password are needed to access your student email account and other campus information. So, if you forget the username and password to log into the D2L Minnesota State University Moorhead , you can use your Minnesota StarID and password, as an alternative.
To log into the D2L Brightspace MSUM with StarID, you can access the page at https://signon.minnstate.edu/idp/profile/SAML2/Redirect/SSO?execution=e1s2
- Login with Non-StarID
You can also log into the D2L Brightspace MSUM with non-StarID, it means that you should enter your username and password. The password and username here are obtained when you have registered in the faculty before. So, if you want to log into the D2L Brightspace MSUM with username and password, make sure that you do not forget them at all.
To log into the D2L Brightspace MSUM with username/ non-StarID, you can access the page at https://mnstate.learn.minnstate.edu/d2l/login?noRedirect=1.
What if you forget your password?
Don’t worry! If you forget your password, you can reset your password through this link here. Then, you will be required to enter your username. After that, the MSUM will send you a password reset link to your email address associated with your username. Then, click on the reset link and make your new password.
Getting Started with D2L MSUM
The D2L Brightspace is the recommended learning management system which is used to support and enhance the delivery of courses at Minnesota State University Moorhead.
For the MSUM students
The MSUM students really need the navigation to ease them doing what they need when working with D2L Brightspace. Just like most universities, the navigation of D2L will be the same as it provides easy guidance to get access to the D2L.
Here’s a list what the student will find in the D2L Brightspace at MSUM:
With these navigations below, it will assist you to lead what you want to do, here are they:
- Minibar is always visible to help you to access the Brightspace Learning Environment.
- My Home will get you back to your organization’s homepage. On ‘My Home’, you will usually find plenty of important information from your organization on the homepage.
- Course Selector is reliable to use in accessing your courses. You can pin your courses to the top of the list for easy access,
- Messages will notify you about instant messages and unread mail sent by your instructors and other learners.
- Subscriptions will inform you about new blog posts, threads, topics and subscribed discussion forums.
- Updates will inform you about grades, new and updated announcements, due dates and end dates.
- Username always allows you to change your user profile, account settings, notifications, and log out.
- Navbar definitely provides links to course-specific tools, including the assignments, quizzes and discussions. The navbar here may change depending on your course.
- Course Homepage will provide a quick access to find the important information related to the course. Well, the course homepage for each course probably will be different.
About the D2L Features for students
Within the D2L, the MSUM students will get a variety of features which lead them to perform their learning. Here are they:
- Assessment Tools
- HTML Editor
- Multimedia: Submitting Large Media Assignments
- Self Assessments
If you need more tutorials on how to use those D2L features, you can visit the tutorial page here.
For MSUM’s Faculty
Are you a new MSUM faculty member? If so, here’s a list what you can do when getting started with D2L Brightspace:
- Request your teacher account and development course
What you should do first is to complete a D2L Brightspace Development Course Request for at least one of your upcoming courses. However, it will create a working space for you and also set up your ‘teacher’ account on D2L Brightspace. In this case, the students are not enrolled in your ‘devel’ courses.
Well, you can request a ‘devel’ course for each of your courses if you want, however only one is necessary to create your Teacher account. Get the D2L Brightspace Development Course Request Form here.
- Request your course shell
All courses will be created automatically on D2L Brightspace roughly three weeks prior to the beginning of each new semester. Sure, you’re able to request your courses early with the D2L Brightspace Course Request Form here.
The reasons why you request your courses early, you may want to get a head start on creating your new course and also merge multiple sections of the same course or cross-sections into a single course shell.
- Request enrollment of Teaching Assistants
Please visit the D2L Brightspace Enrollment page here to make enrollment requests.
- Login to your course site
Access the https://mnstate.learn.minnstate.edu/ and enter your StarID and password.
- Build your course
Make sure to build your courses by taking the student view into perspective as follow:
- How do students access the materials and tools in the course?
- What is the most logical way to organize material?
- What do I want students to do first? What do I want them to read first?
- How do they know what to do?
- Get training and ask questions
The MSUM offers workshops throughout the calendar year and makes sure to subscribe to Dragon Digest to keep up with campus related events and announcements. If you have more questions, you can contact the Office of Online Learning here.