Collaborate Ultra is such a perfect space for synchronous online meetings. This one is similar to Blackboard Collaborate that was no longer active, Zoom, Skype, and Google Classroom. If you want to know everything about it, this post provides the information for you. Please understand everything before trying it.
- In the D2L course, feel free to navigate to the module that you want to work on and then click Existing Activities.
- After that, choose Add External Learning Tools.
- The next step is to find and choose Collaborate Ultra.
- Once you have found it, please click the link that shows up.
- It is time for you to click Create Session in the window that opens.
- Do not forget to name the session.
- You will be able to see a dialogue box showing up once you enter a New Session name, there will be the option for anonymous dial in. Please click the X if you want to enter the event details. Then, select a start date, end date, and early entry allowance located under Event Details. It is also possible for you too make a recurring session like virtual office hours or an open session like a space for group projects. In case there is a guest speaker in your class of if you are using Collaborate Ultra for something other than your D2L class, there is the guest link for you. the thing called Guest Role is the one that will determine the permissions of the people using the link. If you want to change the role of the individual you can do it later.
- Then, select the options that you want in your session before clicking Save. Keep in mind that the Default Participant Role is the one where your students will enter the room from D2L as. A participant is free to do anything in the checkboxes located under Participants can. A presenter has a privilege to share screens and upload media. As for the moderator, not only allowed to access everything, but also have the ability to change the roles of people. By default, your role will be a moderator.
- After creating your session and after saving the settings, you can click on the name of your session if you want to open the settings up. If you want to view the other options, you can click on the circle on the far right.
Joining a session:
- In order to join a session, the first thing that you should do is to click on the name of the session. Please click Join Session in the pop up box.
- After joining the session, you need to follow each step for setting up your camera as well as your microphone. Using a microphone is recommended to get the best experience.
- For those the first timers, you will be provided with a tutorial option. Feel free to watch the tutorial or if you do not need it, you can just click Later to dismiss it.
- If you choose the second option, do not forget to click Close on the next pop up as well.
- If later is clicked, you will be able to see Session Settings, the name and status of the person in the video, your status, audio, video, and the feature named Raise Your Hand, and Collaborate Panel.
- The Session settings is the one that allows you to start recording, use your phone as your microphone, report issues, get help, and leave the session.
- There are three different menus and the chat feature in the Collaborate tab. You can click the bubble icon located at the bottom left corner of the tab if you want to access the chat feature under the collaborate tab. It will make it possible for you to chat with the whole group, group chat with moderators, or direct message a participant. If you want to find a certain person, there is the attendee panel. This panel is also helpful to see the answers they give in a poll, see their reactions, and see the ones with microphones on. To see this panel, all the things that should be done is to click the people icon on the toolbar. As the presenter, you are allowed to share content. The options include Share a Blank Whiteboard, Share Your Application/Screen, or Share Files. If you want to share files, you can just click the Share Files button and then upload the file that you want to share. Feel free to either click the Add Files button or drag the file that you want to share to the gray square. It might take time to do it, so please be patient. There is also an option to conduct Polls, which is such a good thing to make the students to pay attention. Unfortunately, this feature is only able to be used once at a time. For instance, you might want to add a slide with a question on it if you are using a PowerPoint.
- If you want to play with your personal settings, there is the Settings tab. The Audio and Video Settings one is helpful to adjust the settings of your speaker, microphone, and camera. If it is needed for you to use your phone for audio, please click Use your phone for audio option, dial the number provided, and then input the PIN. There is also the Notifications Settings that is the one for you to customize how you are notified about messages, new attendees, if or when the closed options are available, and if there is one who raises their hand.
- If you want to share what’s on your mind with the groups, you can just click on your icon located at the bottom of the middle screen. You are free to agree, disagree, give your opinions about the material, or ask the presenter to be faster or to be slower.