In this page, we are going to discuss CSULB Beachboard Templates and other information related to CSULB Beachboard. If you want to know that information, make sure that you do not go anywhere.
CSULB Beachboard Course Templates
BeachBoard course templates are specially designed to expedite the course development process. Easily, the instructors are able to customize a template to adapt to their own subject or teaching mode, including face-to-face instruction. Those pre-built frameworks, made by ATS instructional design experts, obey evidence-based, Quality Assurance standards.
Instructions for Requesting Templates:
- See Templates in sample Beachboard Course
You are able to visit the four different template options inside the sample BeachBoard course and then try out the features of each to determine which template works best for you. For note: This sample course only serves as a showcase, thus modifying the templates here is not possible. But, you will have the ability to customize the template when it has been applied to your course.
Here are steps to view the sample course:
- At the first step, you have to log in to BeachBoard and choose the “Resources” tab in the navigation bar of the homepage.
- In the Resources dropdown menu, you are able to choose Discover.
- The next step is to choose the link for the design of your choice from the Discover menu.
- After that, simply choose the Open Course button.
- Now, you are in the online template course.
- Please check all the widgets in the course homepage, and then visit the content section of the course to ensure this is the design which you want to use for your course. For another perspective, we suggest you watch the Design Options videos to get an overview of the template features.
- Lastly, you are able to request a template for your course.
- Review Template Options Videos
There are videos that provide an overview of the different template options, each designed to meet your BeachBoard skill level and the needs of your course. Also, you should see this BeachBoard Template Comparison Chart [PDF] to see what features are available in each of the design options.
Beginner template: To learn about online course template design for beginner, you are able to watch a video, here is a link here.
Intermediate template: To learn about online course template design for Intermediate, you are able to watch a video, here is a link here.
- Request a Template For Your Course
Once you review the sample templates in BeachBoard, then you are able to submit a request to have the design option of your choice imported into your BeachBoard course.
After importing, you are able to edit and insert your own content to modify the template to fit your needs.
- Modify the Template in Your Course
After the template has been imported into your existing course, then you are able to modify or edit it with your own course content and also remove any parts of the template design you will not need. To modify your course template, simply you are able to watch a video, here is a link of that video here.
Getting Started in CSULB Beachboard
BeachBoard is CSULB’s LMS (Learning Management System). D2L is the company which develops and supports BeachBoard. It is a custom version of their Brightspace platform.
BeachBoard Course Set Up Instructions:
- Access and Activate your Beachboard Course
Each semester, a BeachBoard shell is automatically made for all courses. The instructors have the option to activate it at any time. After activated, it will be visible to enrolled students. It is recommended that the instructors become familiar with the tools and set up their course while it is deactivated in preparation for the student’s use.
Here are steps to access your BeachBoard course:
- At the first step, you have to login to BeachBoard via SSO (Single Sign On).
- After that, activate your course
- Then, you are able to request a BeachBoard Course Template. This is only optional, but recommended.
- Communicate With your Students
These optional tools are able to be used to communicate with your students while away from campus.
To send email via BeachBoard with Classlist:
- Use Classlist to see who is enrolled student in your course and who is online; a green dot appears beside names of the student who are logged in.
- Stay organized with Classlist because it keeps messages contained within the specific course site. It may be more manageable than using your personal email account.
- Share Course Materials with the Students
To upload course materials with the Content Tool:
- Firstly, you are able to upload and organize course materials such as documents, media files, images, URL links, and more.
- Include your syllabus and any notes regarding your contingency plan during the closure.
Then, you will be able to:
- Add a Module
- Upload a Topic
- Make a File
- Upload file
- Record Lectures and Announcements
Using recorded lectures and announcements will help the students maintain a sense of instructor presence and connection with the course. You are able to use Zoom to deliver a live lecture or record a lecture. Please be creative! Zoom is able to be used in many ways. You are able to try virtual advising, short video announcements, live class discussion or chat.
Also, you are able to make media in BeachBoard with KalturaCapture. For your information, Kaltura Capture is a tool available through BeachBoard Media which gives an easy way of making your own videos, presentations and podcasts. Everything captured is uploaded to your BeachBoard Media Library and also available for you to share with your students.
Aside from that, you are also able to use Camtasia to capture presentations. Need to know that Camtasia is easy to use tool for screencasting or recording interactions on your computer. Please record and import PowerPoint presentations, and then turn them into videos. Do not forget to download Camtasia from the CSULB Software Depot.