Besides studying for the exam, you also need to prepare for the exam day. This CFA Program Candidate checklist outlines some of the important steps you are going to need to take in preparation for your computer-based exam. Please use it to keep track of the tasks to be completed before your exam day.
Several Months Prior to Exam Day
Here are some things you need to do several months prior to the exam day:
- You have a scheduled exam.
- You have to review the testing policies.
- You have to confirm your valid international travel passport. This is the only type of identification accepted. Make sure that it does not expire before your exam date. If your passport expires prior to exam day, you have to learn the identification exceptions)
- You have to ensure that you have all the travel documents you need (for example a visa) to go to the test center.
During the Month Prior to Exam Day
Here are some things you need to do during the month prior to the exam day:
- You have to plan your travel route to the test center on the exam day. (What will the traffic be like on exam day? Is there road construction or the events which could impact your travel time?)
- You have to confirm the name in your CFA Institute account matches the name on your international travel passport.
- You have to make sure that you know all the testing policies; violating any CFA Program rules, regulations, or policies can lead to suspension or termination of your candidacy.
- You have to review the Rules of Procedure.
During the Week Prior to Exam Day
Here are some things you need to do during the week prior to the exam day:
- Have your appointment details changed? You are able to log in to your CFA Program tile and reconfirm your exam time and location.
- What to wear on the exam day? Remember that face coverings (covering the nose and mouth) are required to be worn while you are in the test centers. For your information, temperatures at test centers can vary. You should plan to wear layers of clothing for example a sweater so you are able to be comfortable.
- What items can I bring into the test center? Please be sure to read the entire Personal Belongings Policy.
- What are you going to eat on the exam day? You will be able to bring your water and food. However, it must be kept in your small bag or under your chair. Water stations are not available at the test centers. Food cannot be accessed or consumed during the timed portion of the exam.
Items Allowed to Bring on the Exam Day
Here are some items allowed to bring on the exam day:
- Valid international travel passport
- Lost or forgotten passports are the most frequent issue candidates have on the exam day (the first issue being a lost or forgotten calculator).
- CFA Institute just accepts valid international passports as identification, so you have to renew your passport if required.
- Also, you have to ensure that the name on your exam ticket is exactly the same as it is on your passport. If it is not, you have to notify the CFA Institute immediately.
- Face mask
From 1st May 2022, Prometric will no longer require the candidates or a test center personnel to wear masks unless required to do that by building management or local government mandates. Prometric allows and encourages the wearing of masks regardless of mandate or vaccination status. You are going to be required to briefly remove your face covering during ID verification. CFA Institute or Prometric will not be supplying the face masks, so you have to remember to bring your own if you prefer to wear one.
- Items which can be kept in full view on your desk:
- Approved calculator. For your information, only two calculator models are authorized for use during the CFA Program exams: Texas Instruments BA II Plus (including BA II Plus Professional) and Hewlett Packard 12C (including the HP 12C Platinum, 12C 30th anniversary edition, 12C Platinum 25th anniversary edition, and HP 12C Prestige)
- Calculator cases and keystroke cards
- Eyeglasses, without the case
- Additional personal items allowed in the test center including Earplugs, Bandages, Cough drops (must be unwrapped), Eye drops, Eye patches, Eyeglasses (without the case), Handheld Magnifying Glass (non-electric, no case), Medical Alert Bracelet, Arm/Shoulder Sling, walking boot casts, Pills (must be unwrapped), Surgical Face Masks, Medical Masks, Medical Rubber Gloves, Ice Packs, Non-Electrical Heating Pad, Glucose Monitor, Glucose tablets, Nitroglycerin tablets, Epi-Pen, Inhaler, Pillow Support.
You are going to be provided with scratch paper or a whiteboard or erasable writing tablet for use during the exam. Also, several personal items may require inspection as part of the check in process. Particular medically necessary items can be allowed in the testing room with prior approval.
Items Not Allowed to Bring in The CFA Exam Room
Here are some items not allowed to bring on the CFA exam room:
- Food or drinks
- Wallet (money purse)
- Baggage of any type, including transparent bags, handbags, backpacks, tote bags, briefcases, passport covers, luggage, carrying cases, or eyeglass cases
- Study materials, including notes, textbooks, papers, or study guides
- Scratch paper, writing utensils, or calculator manuals. The candidates are going to be provided with a laminated sheet or erasable writing tablet for use during the exam. With computer-based exams, now pencils are not allowed to be brought to the CFA exam room.
- Mobile phones, computers, tablets, cameras, headsets, wearable technology (such as fitness tracking devices), smart watches, or any Bluetooth-enabled or any remote communication or photographic devices.
- Any kind of desk clock or timer, including wristwatches.
- Weapons of any type.
- Jewelry (other than the wedding or engagement rings), headbands, combs, ornate hair clips, barrettes, cufflinks or tie clips.
For note: At the test center, there will be an area designated for personal belongings to place the items not allowed in the test room.