BLD Learning Disorder

Posted on

In this world, there is no thing called BLD learning disorder, instead, you will be able to find NLD, which is the abbreviation of Nonverbal Learning Disorder. What is NLD? NLD or Nonverbal Learning Discover is known as a condition that impacts more people than you may think. This one causes the real daily difficulties for both adults and children who have it. Please read the whole article to learn the signs of the confusing condition and what you can do to treat it.

NLD, which is also known as NVLD is often overlooked, misunderstood, and under diagnosed learning disorder. The condition of this disability is characterized by spatial, pool visual, and organizational skills, difficulty reorganizing and processing the nonverbal cues, and lack of motor performance

The term “non verbal learning disorder” itself is actually confusing. Some people may refer it to those who do not speak, but the fact is quite the opposite. The report says that about 93% of communication is non-verbal, such as body language, facial expressions, and tone of voice. People with NLD have issues interpreting this non-verbal language and just rely on the rest of 7% of communication that is verbal to understand what the others mean.

As those with NLD rely so much on the non-verbal language, they tend to talk excessively to compensate for their issues. Usually, they will hold you to every world you say. The kids with NLD mostly have large vocabularies and outstanding memory and auditory retention.

Is NDL common? NLD used to be highly rare. Now, it may also be considered as dyslexia, though the high incidence of missed diagnoses makes it hard to estimate the true impact of the disorder. Everyone knows that this disability affects both girls and boys equally and tends to run in families, just like most of the other learning disabilities.

What are the symptoms of the NLD? The symptoms can be different from one to another. However, the common ones include:

  1. Issue with recognizing nonverbal cues.
  2. Early speech and language acquisition.
  3. Lack of coordination.
  4. Poor motor skills.
  5. Always bombarding questions, to the point of being repetitive or interrupting the regular flow of conversation.
  6. Struggles with sarcasm, innuendo, or the other linguistic nuances.
  7. Difficulty dealing with change.
  8. Naïve or overly trusting
  9. Etc.

How to treat the ones with NLD? There is no standard treatment for NLD, since the condition known is just a little. Social emotional learning such as tone of voice, protocols, and reading body language; executive function training to develop deficient processing skills, as well as physical therapy can help kids manage the symptoms.

NLD is different compared to the other learning disabilities. This one is not covered under IDEA. It means even with the formal diagnosis, your kid may not qualify for an IEP or 504 Plan from the school unless they have another diagnosis or disorder. However, it does not mean that your kid is not eligible for extra help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *