The Department of Defense, which is also more popular as DoD in short, has replaced the AKO Webmail with the new one called AKO Army Enterprise Email. As a soldier, you can access the AKO Army Enterprise Email though OWA. What is OWA?
OWA is the abbreviation of Outlook Web Access. This one is described as an email that is based on a web. It has the look and feel of a full featured Microsoft Outlook. Every user of this service has a chance to access their mailbox from any computer even though there is no Microsoft Outlook installed in the device. However, the case is different with the Army Webmail OWA. You are free to type the web address by using any browser but you will not be able to get the access without a few requirements.
It has been known that not everyone has a privilege to access the OWA owned by the army due to the location of the servers, which are in a Demilitarized Zone of DMZ on a government computer network. It means even if the links of the OWA is able to be seen by public, it is a must for the users to have several things to get the access.
The first one is Common Access Card or CAC. In case you do not have one, please finish the registration process and get one. Having one in your hand is important to associate your CAC with your work email.
The second one is CAC reader. Once you have successfully obtained your CAC, it is time for you to get a CAC reader that can be installed to your computer along with the drivers and certificates that are needed. In order to bypass the government network firewall, it is needed for you to get a DoD or Department of Defense certificate.
The third one is a dedicated email account to the certain network that you want to access. It explains why you need a CAC with an associated work email.
After getting all the requirements ready, it is time for you to access Army OWA following every step mentioned below:
- The first thing that you need to do is to open your favorite web browser and navigate to https://web.mail.mil.
- Once you are in, you will be able to see the screen that informs you that you are accessing a U.S Government Information System. Upon seeing the information, all that you have to do is to click the I Accept.
- When you are prompted, do not forget to choose only your DOD Email certificate and then click OK after that.
- After pressing OK, you will be shown with the second screen. In this step, please click the link in the center.
- By following the instruction, you will be presented with a second request for the correct certificate. When prompted, please choose the DOD EMAIL certificate. Then, click OK.
- If it is your first time using the webmail interface, you should see a screen that ask you for the time zone you are in. Please choose the appropriate time zone before clicking OK.
- In the end, the webmail interface (OWA) will open.
It should be easy to access the ARMY AKO email OWA enterprise if you follow every step mentioned above well. If you are having a hard time, you can call the Army Enterprise Service Desk by dialing the phone number 1 866 335 ARMY (2769) and then choose option #4. In addition, you can also dial another number, which is the number of DSN (OCONUS). Once you are connected to 312 560 1110, you can ask the operator to connect you to 866 3355 2769. If you are too lazy to talk directly through a phone, you might want to send an email instead to email@example.com.
As mentioned above, Army AKO Enterprise Email is the replacement of AKO Webmail. One of the reasons why it is changed is to reduce the operational costs and to improve the operational effectiveness. Actually, the main purpose is security. This new version expects to provide a more secured and cloud-based email service capability.
When the 2013 was about to end, the Defense Information Systems Agency or DISA had a plan to integrate effective components systems that are based on the cloud. This one provides tough, faster, and easier tools that can be accessed by the users whenever and wherever they want.
It has been proven that the AKO Army Enterprise Email is the solution that has successfully cut the government operational cost and provides everything needed by the staff. Operating from one framework for all the personnel is easy now with the help of it. Aside from that, it also easier to communicate, train, and share knowledge compared to before.
AKO Army Enterprise Email has a lot of benefits, including:
- It is the more secured email that can be accessed via mobile phone.
- With it, exchanging information among different virtual groups in different locations is easier and more effective.
- It can be used as a coordination tool and it works better than calendar sharing.
- It has reduced the operational cost by getting rid of the pointless administration and unproductive resource consumption.
- It improves the operational effectiveness by directing resources to the other urgent priorities.
- The design of it aims for email capability deployment support that is able to accommodate a total of 1.5 million users of AKO accounts.
- It supports 10 million objects of Global Address List, including the holders of DoD Common Access Card and Non-Person entities.
By checking out every point above, it can be concluded that this cloud computing system has more benefits compared to the previous one. It is the reason why the cloud military portal and AKO Army Enterprise Email or DEE will also give short and long efficiency, security, and easy to use. This one is able to be used by every army personal anywhere, anytime, and from any place.